ICPA Qld lobbies to ensure the continuity of delivery of quality educational services to students in rural and remote schools and access to a broad range of subjects and school experiences to cater for the varying needs of isolated students.
Tammie Irons - Portfolio Leader
The latest ICPA Qld Schools Report can be found here
The Schools portfolio entails issues surrounding access to, and the delivery of, quality educational services to students in rural and remote schools. Schools are the hub of a rural community and many struggle to access quality opportunities in their education.
What ICPA Does for your Small School
- Lobbies DET to increase the student: teacher ratio in small schools—the most recent increase in 2013 was entirely due to the lobby of ICPA Qld—an extra .5 teacher allocation to all schools with more than 21 students is a proud achievement.
- Works with DET and universities to improve the attraction and retention of quality teachers to small schools ~ we offer reward packages to preservice teachers who have undertaken a rural practicum and currently we are lobbying to make rural education a key focus in education courses.
- Advises DET, Telstra and nbn on issues which impact on the delivery of quality internet service to our small schools and as a direct result trials have been conducted with many schools which have resulted in a focus on connectivity across rural and remote Queensland schools.
- Makes submissions to relevant groups to ensure rural and remote education remains a key consideration in legislative or program change
- Ensures Principals are aware of their responsibility to their school community, particularly in terms of RREAP and their accountability to their P&C.
- Remains a key stakeholder in various departmental groups—these include the Teacher Transfer Renewal Scheme, the Remote Kindergarten Pilot Working Group, the Six Full Cohort Stakeholder Reference Group and the Rural and Remote Stakeholder Reference Group.
- Continues to lobby the Dept of Transport and Translink in regards to maintaining rural bus routes, reviewing conveyance allowances and student fares
- Has worked closely with TAFE Qld and DET to ensure exibility for students who are accessing VET in our small secondary schools.
- Liaises with DET in regards to the Australian Curriculum within our classrooms and the access to extra- curricular activities within our regions.
- Meets regularly with key DET branches in regards to Infrastructure, Informa on Technology, Curriculum, Human Resources and Operations