Educational Allowances


For a 2 page PDF document with all the information & links you need,

please download this - Read More



A.  Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) – must be claimed by the 31st December of the current year.

If your student attends a primary or secondary school, School of Distance Education, boarding school, special education facility or rural training college, and

  1. You live at least 16km (by shortest practicable route) from the nearest state school with the required year level and at least 4.5 km from the nearest transport.
  2. If you live less than 4.5km from transport, a student may still qualify if the family home is: -
             a) At least 56km from the school via the transport service; or
             b) At least 3 hours traveling time per day to and from the school via the transport service.

You can claim for the following allowances:

  • Boarding Allowance - income test free. [For families with low income, a means-tested Additional Allowance is available] Students aged 17, participating in an approved tertiary course at an Agricultural, TAFE or similar College are also eligible.
  • Second Home Allowance - for a second home maintained by the family for education purposes only
  • Distance Education Allowance - for prep, primary and secondary level.Download AIC Application      

           Contact Centrelink on 132318 or Visit website.
           All applications to PO Box 1122 Lismore NSW 2480

B. Youth Allowance -- Includes Rent Assistance and Remote Area Allowance for those eligible.
                                                                   Contact Centrelink on 132490 or visit website.

C.  Austudy is still available for students over 25.  Visit website.

D.  Abstudy - Educational assistance for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Island Students.
                                                   Contact Centrelink on 132317 or visit website.
                                                   Contact the Indigenous Call Centre on 136380 or visit website.



A. Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA)

Preferably claimed on line here from 1st December the year proceeding year of claim and no later than 31st December of the current year.
            ---  Eligibility criteria is similar to AIC

  1. Remote Area Tuition Allowance (RTuA) - to help with payment of tuition fees (paid direct to approved, non-state, primary or secondary school at which the students boards).
  2. Remote Area Travel Allowance (RTrA)- to help with travel expenses for distances more than 50km. (Paid direct to parents.)
  3. Remote Area Allowance (RAA) - for students attending one of the campuses of the Australian Agricultural College equivalent to and in lieu of Years 11 and 12. (Paid direct to parents.)
  4. AustralianRemote Area Disability Supplement (RADS) – (Paid direct to parents.)

More information please contact School Financial Services, Department of Education and Training, PO Box 15033, City East, Qld, 4002 or phone 1800 248 997        

 LAFHAS Applicant Guidelines 2018 -  Read More

LAFHAS Application Form 2018 - Read More 


B. Textbook and Resource Allowance - Available for all secondary students. Parents do not apply - the allowance is claimed by the school on behalf of parents.

C. Conveyance Allowance - Queensland Transport – must be claimed by the 31st December of the current year. For students who reside more than 4.8km (Secondary) or 3.2km (Primary) from the nearest State school with the required year level.
Contact Queensland Transport 132380 and ask for the School Transport number for your area. Conveyance Allowance payment PDF information sheet can be downloaded

 Other allowances PDF information sheets that can be downloaded  here- Drought Assistance Arrangements Read More , School Transport Assistance Scheme Isolation Package ,

Link to all Application forms here.

D. Bypass Schools – If you live near certain secondary schools, you may still be eligible for allowances to send your child away to boarding school, year levels vary for eligibility.